Friday 26 April 2019

The Winter of the Witch - Katherine Arden



Hardcover, UK Edition, 384 pages
Published January 10th 2019 by Del Rey (Ebury Publishing) (first published January 8th 2019)
Series: Winternight Trilogy #3
YA Historical fantasy
Library

My Thoughts
Book 1 was great. Everything from language to story. A wonderful fairytale. Book 2 has issues but was still good. It was no longer a fairytale. This one again was better than book 2, but still no book 1.

Vasya is in trouble, and omg that Konstantin, I want him hung up by his entrails! There is no place for a witch in Moscowy. 

She spends more time with magical "things" and places in this one. She learns a few truths too.
The whole Winter King and her is still weird, I mean he liked her from when exactly? The Bear went weird too...

Oh and the Tatars are coming so better rally the army!

But yes it was good, easy reading, nice story. And when it ended I was curious and wanted more. But I longed for a return to the more fairytale writing, and not the harsh reality of 14th century Russia.

Blurb
Moscow has burned nearly to the ground, leaving its people searching for answers - and someone to hold accountable. Vasya finds herself on her own, amid a rabid mob that calls for her death, blaming her witchery for their misfortune.

Then a vengeful demon returns, renewed and stronger than ever, determined to spread chaos in his wake and never be chained again. Enlisting the hateful priest Konstantin as his servant, turmoil plagues the Muscovites and the magical creatures alike, and all find their fates resting on the shoulders of Vasya.

With an uncertain destiny ahead of her, Vasya learns surprising truths of her past as she desperately tries to save Russia, Morozko, and the magical world she treasures. But she may not be able to save them all... 

27 comments:

  1. love your review as always. I love that cover

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear this was better than book two, but sorry it lost some of its fairytale quality you liked. That's a beautiful cover! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a shame cos I loved that vibe

      Delete
  3. Hung by his entrails. LOL Dang, tell us how you really feel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though it wasn't AS good. I'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah the fairytale bit is better, hmm harsh 14th century Russia - not into it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, great ending, but it probably wasn't my favorite. I think I liked book 2 best, but still, amazing trilogy.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a good trilogy and I like this cover.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Trying Google Chrome! I agree, this one was good but didn’t compare to book one, plus it felt like it ended in the middle then there was that whole war.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Magical stories are such fun, and a great way to escape too! Another fun review! Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope book three is back to fairy tale story for you.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do love this cover! I actually liked books 2 and 3 the most out of the series. I will be reading this one again someday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you aren't done with the series quite yet!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP