Sunday 7 April 2019

Carole's Sunday: The stranger she married - Donna Hatch


The Stranger She Married (Rogue Hearts, #1)
Author: Donna Hatch
Title: The Stranger She Married
(Rogue Hearts #1)
Genre: Historical Romance
Pages: ebook
Published: October 10th 2008
Where I Got It: My shelf (Given to me by the author/publisher for my honest and unbiased opinion)




When her parents and only brother die within weeks of each other, Alicia and her younger sister are left in the hands of an uncle who has brought them all to financial and social ruin. Desperate to save her family from debtor's prison, Alicia vows to marry the first wealthy man to propose. She meets the dashing Lord Amesbury, and her heart whispers that this is the man she is destined to love, but his tainted past may forever stand in their way. Her choices in potential husbands narrow to either a scarred cripple with the heart of a poet, or a handsome rake with a deadly secret.


Cole Amesbury is tormented by his own ghosts, and believes he is beyond redemption, yet he cannot deny his attraction for the girl whose genuine goodness touches the heart he'd thought long dead. He fears the scars in his soul cut so deeply that he may never be able to offer Alicia a love that is true.



When yet another bizarre mishap threatens her life, Alicia suspects the seemingly unrelated accidents that have plagued her loved ones are actually a killer's attempt to exterminate every member of her family. Despite the threat looming over her, learning to love the stranger she married may pose the greatest danger to her heart



This one really intrigued me from the start and I was so curious how everything would turn out. 



The story follows Alicia who is left in the hands of her uncle when her parents died. However, the uncle leads his entire family into financial and social ruin. In order to save the entire family from this, she vows to marry the first wealthy man to propose. She meets Cole and it is love at first sight....until she finds out something terrible from Cole's past so she marries another who is all but a stranger. 



I liked Cole and Alicia, but I wanted to kick both of them at times. It was so obvious that these "unrelated" accidents are the work of a killer who wants to punish them. It did add some mystery though and I liked it, but they were all so dense. I guess it is hard to believe that someone wants to kill you and your family. 



The man she marries was intriguing and I had my guesses and I was right with my main guess. It was good, but I was shocked still even though I guessed it. If that makes any sense whatsoever. 



Ugh I was so annoyed that Alicia forgave Cole so quickly after a big lie. Can't say what...but I was annoyed. Yes, yes, love and all that. I get mad when BF lied about taking his lunch to work the other day after I went through the trouble of making it. I can't believe how mad I would be if he lied about what Cole lied about. Grr! I wanted more anger there. 



The ending happened quickly. I wanted more. 



Besides for my want of more anger from kind-hearted Alicia, I am torn on the cover. I like it, but don't at the same time. Maybe it is because the lady on the cover doesn't match at all what I feel Alicia looks like. And that face is anti-Alicia. She is so sweet and innocent. 



Overall, I did really like this story. I finished it in two sittings! Darn sleep getting in my way. I'll stamp this with 4 overall. If you like historical romances this is a good one. 







3 comments:

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP