Thursday 18 April 2019

The Mermaid - Christina Henry



Paperback, 321 pages
Published June 19th 2018 by Titan Books Ltd
Historical fantasy
Own

My Thoughts
I do like her books. They are all such great fun!

This one is more Selkie wife than little mermaid.  A mermaid grew bored with her world and wanted to see more. She is given the name Amelia by her husband, a lonely fisherman whom she falls in love with. No magic here (well yes and no.) If she touch land she becomes human, when she goes back into the sea she is a mermaid...creature.

I liked Amelia. She really loved her husband and stayed with him until he died. I liked the village, she knew and pretended not to.

Then comes PT Barnum. Ugh, what an asshat! Oh Amelia, I know that you still want to see the world, but stay away from that asshat! He wants a circus freak. An animal.

Conclusion:
The book is light, and heavy. Fun, and dark. And in that aspect it did remind me of Lost boy. The darkness she got in there. Yes, I do like these magical books of hers. And I have Alice on its way so I will read more by her, wohoo!


Blurb
From the author of Lost Boy comes a beautiful historical fairy tale about a mermaid who leaves the sea, only to become the star attraction of history's greatest showman. Once there was a mermaid called Amelia who could never be content in the sea, a mermaid who longed to know all the world and all its wonders, and so she came to live on land. Once there was a man called P. T. Barnum, a man who longed to make his fortune by selling the wondrous and miraculous, and there is nothing more miraculous than a real mermaid. Amelia agrees to play the mermaid for Barnum and walk among men in their world, believing she can leave anytime she likes. But Barnum has never given up a money-making scheme in his life, and he's determined to hold on to his mermaid. 

12 comments:

  1. Ooh I've heard good things about this one but keep forgetting about it - goes to library app and adds to list.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea for this! And that cover! Like Karen, I keep forgetting about this one, but it's definitely one I want to read. I'm so happy you enjoyed it! :)

    Lindsi @ Do You Dog-ear? 💬

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually only got this one cos her ALice was sold out, so i had forgotten too

      Delete
  3. I like mermaid tails and this sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did like Amelia and thought Barnum was terrible. I didn't like this one as much as Lost Boy but thought it was a very good read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Booo Barnum!!!!
      Lost boy was better, I agree

      Delete
  5. This was a departure from the rest of her fairy tale books, but I was kind of glad to find it more light hearted!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have ALice, so i will soon be back to fairytales

      Delete
  6. I've only read one book from her, Alice. I enjoyed it and planned on reading (well, listening) to more. I just haven't gotten around to it. I will one day. Great review.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP