Friday 7 July 2017

Audio Review: The beach at Painter's cove - Shelley Noble

The Whitaker family's Connecticut mansion, Muses by the Sea, has always been a haven for artists, a hotbed of creativity, extravagances, and the occasional scandal. Art patrons for generations, the Whitakers supported strangers but drained the life out of each other. Now, after being estranged for years, four generations of Whitaker women find themselves once again at the Muses. Leo, the Whitaker matriarch, lives in the rambling mansion. Jillian is a jet-setting actress, down on her luck.  Issy, Jillian's daughter, has a successful life as a museum exhibit designer that takes her around the world. But the Muses and her grandmother are the only family she's known, and when her sister leaves her own children with Leo, Issy knows she has to step in to help. Steph is only twelve years old and desperately needs someone to fire her imagination and bring her out of her shell. What she begins to discover at the Muses could change the course of her future. 

My thoughts:
Family drama and family love. 

It's a book about 4 generations. Leo and Faye, sisters, who are missing the good old days when artists flocked to their house. They are getting old, the house is getting old. I really liked Faye, she was quite the character, lost in her dreams and not caring what others thought about her. While Leo was lost in her own mind at times, and not in a good way.

Jillian left her kids with her parents and concentrated on her Hollywood career. It did make it hard to like her at all, she had just left her kids and was now chasing rich benefactors. 

Izzy who is the main character is Jillian's daughter. She loved her job but leaves everything to help her grandmother and her sister's kids. I liked her and she does get a bit of romance at the end too. You know I like that.

Then there is Steph, Izzy's niece. She has a pov too and brings a bit of whimsy and childlike wonder to the story.

The house is crumbling. Everyone has spent way too little time together before this but they come together. They work together, laugh together, argue, but the day is saved at the end. There is forgiveness, people move on and yes some find love and new things to enjoy.

Conclusion:
I enjoyed the story and it did seem like a lovely place to visit.

Narration
She did a good job and I found myself lost in the story in a good way. I never thought about how she did voices or anything like that. The story just flowed and I listened. 

Audio CD, 12 h
Published June 13th 2017 by Tantor Audio
Women's fiction
For review

34 comments:

  1. Aww this sounds like a really sweet story of family! I love that 4 generations are featured here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy stories like this from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love family drama and this one sounds fab!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like these type of stories that cover several generations, and this one sounds really good. But everyone will tell you that I totally suck when it comes to listening to audiobooks because I usually fall asleep. (lol) Loved your wonderful review. Happy Friday! Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like family stories too. This one sounds just right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this one would be great for you

      Delete
  6. Yeah, you either shouldn't be aware of the narrator, or if you are, only in a "wow, want to hear more books narrated by this person".

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to stoo moderate on my phone. Another delete by mistake


    Blushing Geek has left a new comment on your post "Audio Review: The beach at Painter's cove - Shelle...":

    Ohh, I love family stories!

    Publish
    Delete
    Mark as spam

    Moderate comments for this blog.


    Posted by Blushing Geek to Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell at 7 July 2017 at 17:37s
    Moderate comments for this blog.


    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to hear you enjoyed the audio of this. I liked Faye too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so thrilled more people are getting into audiobooks. I've never heard Erin Bennett perform before, but she sounds like a great narrator for this!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so weird when I read a book yesterday...read! I was all where is the voice!

      Delete
  10. I really like generational books like this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like the summer read I am looking for. Light, easy and fun to listen to. I will add it to my summer TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like books I find myself lost in. Sounds like a good story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooooo family drama. Always makes things more.....fun?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm reading the ebook version now and it's good so far.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I liked it and imagine the audio is just as good.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP