Wednesday 12 July 2017

Corpselight - Angela Slatter

Life in Brisbane is never simple for those who walk between the worlds.

Verity's all about protecting her city, but right now that's mostly running surveillance and handling the less exciting cases for the Weyrd Council – after all, it's hard to chase the bad guys through the streets of Brisbane when you're really, really pregnant.

An insurance investigation sounds pretty harmless, even if it is for 'Unusual Happenstance'. That's not usually a clause Normals use – it covers all-purpose hauntings, angry genii loci, ectoplasmic home invasion, demonic possession, that sort of thing – but Susan Beckett's claimed three times in three months. Her house keeps getting inundated with mud, but she's still insisting she doesn't need or want help . . . until the dry-land drownings begin.

V's first lead takes her to Chinatown, where she is confronted by kitsune assassins. But when she suddenly goes into labour, it's clear the fox spirits are not going to be helpful . . .

My thoughts:
I had forgotten she was preggo! Oh my poor brain, I mean they must have found out at the end. But yes she is pregnant and she does have a really dangerous job. Not all is well is Brisneyland.

Let us first start with the fact that it takes place in Brisbane, that does feel refreshing since I read so many US based UF books. And it does have this other feel to it too, I just can't put my finger on it.

This one has a few twists in it and the ending...well yes it is a sort of cliffhanger. All is well, for a while and then things will, oh you will see when you read it. It did make me want to read the next book to find out.

Verity might not show her kick-ass side all the time like other heroines, but that does not mean that she does not kick some ass. She is smart, resourceful and knows how to get the job down. She does her investigations even if it takes weeks. I like her. I like that she already has her man and that she is happy.

Her investigations in this one gives us kitsunes, mud and a few revelations that I did not see coming at all. I like the world created her and all the different beings she brings to life. But I must say that I had not heard of one at all, a Swedish creature. One would think I would know, but nope. So I learned something new about the dark hidden paranormal world.

Conclusion:
A good series with lots to offer. I look forward to more.
Paperback, 400 pages
Expected publication: July 13th 2017 by Jo Fletcher Books
Verity Fassbinder #2
Urban fantasy
For review

33 comments:

  1. Ooh an Aussie setting- nice! I get sick of all US settings all the time. I like the uncommon creatures too, nice for variety. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gets old quick, so a new setting is great

      Delete
  2. She sounds like a great character - not sure about her being pregnant though. And I do hate cliff hangers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't blame her for wanting to have a life :)

      Delete
  3. I love that she's already in a relationship and a different setting for once is cool.

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No romance that takes forever to evolve ;)

      Delete
  4. Really interesting review and seems its got a nice plot, thanks for sharing and greetings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds good. I would have to read #1 first, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that it is set in Brisbane and that she is a character I'd really like reading about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know nooothing about Brisbane but hey that is the fun part :D

      Delete
  7. Oh Kitsune! Now I'm very curious. Creepy cover and title.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Will have to check this out, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ewww! What is that thing on the cover? It looks scary and kinda gross! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks good! Did I somehow miss the first book, how is that possible?! And it's got kitsune, I must have this!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm assuming it's a kitsune on the cover, but it looks deformed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting setting... and cover.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't heard of this series before but it sounds like my kind of book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love urban fantasy. This sounds like one I,would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP