Saturday 22 July 2017

Saturday Night Movie: A Promise

A romantic drama set in Germany just before WWI and centered on a married woman who falls in love with her husband's protégé. Separated first by duties and then by the war, they pledge their devotion to one another.

Director: Patrice Leconte
Writers: Patrice Leconte (screenplay), Jérôme Tonnerre (screenplay) | Stefan Sweig (novel)
Stars: Rebecca Hall, Alan Rickman, Richard Madden |
Drama/Romance

Lenght: 1h 38 min


Musings:
Now this to be honest was a rather dull movie. A young man meets his boss' young wife. But nothing happens. They steal glances at each other. They talk. But nothing is said about love. They just are, they wonder, they go on with their lives.

So it's more emotional cheating, and well it does fit. They restrain from expressing what they feel, and it is not like I can blame him, or her for that matter. You can not help who you fall in love with.

But omg it was soooooo slow. I kept hoping the war would start and he would be sent away and I would finally see some action, but alas, that was not to be. But I am not saying it was truly boring. Now in its utter slowness I could watch it. It had its moments, but yes be warned. It is sloooooooooow.

As for the acting, yeah, they did well. And it's always nice to see Rickman.



22 comments:

  1. Yikes! Unfortunately, if a movie or a novel take too long to grab my attention, it becomes a DNF. I also absolutely can't watch movies about cheating. Sorry this one didn't work for you. Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Movies I can watch cos I usually blog at the same time

      Delete
  2. I don't think that's for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh lord! I don't enjoy slow reads slow movies or slow songs! Not my cup of tea! *sigh*
    Haniya
    booknauthors.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, the trailer for this looks so promising so I'm sorry to hear it was slow! Thanks for such an honest and helpful review, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I've ever even seen that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bummer it was so slow! Alan Rickman though- yeah always nice to see him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looked like it had potential with Alan Rickman in it. Sorry to hear it was slow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would probably only watch this for Alan Rickman, lol.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  9. I might fall asleep unless Rickman is in a lot of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Dunno why I am watching the most boring movies

      Delete
  11. I don't know that I could do it, even for Rickman.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP