Saturday 29 July 2017

Saturday Movie review: Carol

Not again! I posted two things on the same day again, omgg mummy brain!


In an adaptation of Patricia Highsmith's seminal novel The Price of Salt, CAROL follows two women from very different backgrounds who find themselves in an unexpected love affair in 1950s New York. As conventional norms of the time challenge their undeniable attraction, an honest story emerges to reveal the resilience of the heart in the face of change. A young woman in her 20s, Therese Belivet (Rooney Mara), is a clerk working in a Manhattan department store and dreaming of a more fulfilling life when she meets Carol (Cate Blanchett), an alluring woman trapped in a loveless, convenient marriage. As an immediate connection sparks between them, the innocence of their first encounter dims and their connection deepens. While Carol breaks free from the confines of marriage, her husband (Kyle Chandler) begins to question her competence as a mother as her involvement with Therese and close relationship with her best friend Abby (Sarah Paulson) come to light.

Director: Todd Haynes
Writers: Phyllis Nagy (screenplay), Patricia Highsmith (novel)
Stars: Cate Blanchett, Rooney Mara, Sarah Paulson 

Drama/Romance (2015)
1h 58 min

Musings:
A slow movie. It is a theme (you will see in coming reviews.) It might be drama, but it never gets dramatic,

Blacnhett does a good role as the mature, but still a sort of flighty woman. While Rooney is good as the more silent one. She just watches. How on earth they get it together I do not know. They do take their time.

So yes it's a movie about a married woman meeting a shopgirl. But then her husband knows about her tendencies already. Not that he approves, but she wants out anyway. A slow building friendship forms, then a very slow building romance. A road trip and a tiny bit of drama.

But, yes it was very slow. I could watch it since I wanted to see what happened, but sloooooow.




17 comments:

  1. I think I enjoyed this more than you did. Did you know it's based on a book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this movie because I like the actresses, but I agree that it was slow. Normally, if I can't connect within the first 5-10 minutes, I move on to something else. I was intrigued and stayed because I was sort of fascinated based on the era when this occurred and wanted to see where it ended. I'm not sure I liked how it ended, but it was more interesting than I thought. Loved your review. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was slow, but yes there was something, and I wanted to know

      Delete
  3. I have to remember to watch this one, even if its slow, it sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't tried this one I confess

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw the title and thought Carol was reviewing a movie. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hadn't heard of this one. Sounds like an interesting movie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I watched this one awhile ago. It was on the slow side.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not a movie fan. I think I'd like the book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh Carol. LOLLL
    But yes, slow, but it sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was on the fence about trying to watching this one. Now that I know it is slow, I think I will have to pass.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP