Sunday 2 July 2017

Carole's Sunday Review: The Babe Ruth deception

Author: David O. Stewart
Title: The Babe Ruth Deception (Dr. Jamie Fraser & Speed Cook #3)
Genre: Fiction & Mystery
Pages: 304
Published: September 2016
Where I Got It: My shelf (Given to me by the author/publisher for my honest and unbiased opinion)

Babe Ruth, the Sultan of Swat, is having a record-breaking season in his first year as a New York Yankee. In 1920, he will hit more home runs than any other team in the American League. Larger than life on the ball field and off, Ruth is about to discover what the Chicago White Sox players accused of throwing the 1919 World Series are learning—baseball heroes are not invulnerable to scandal. With suspicion in the air, Ruth’s 1918 World Series win for the Boston Red Sox is now being questioned. Under scrutiny by the new baseball commissioner and enmeshed with gambling kingpin Arnold Rothstein, Ruth turns for help to Speed Cook—a former professional ballplayer himself before the game was segregated and now a promoter of Negro baseball—who’s familiar with the dirty underside of the sport.

Cook in turn enlists the help of Dr. Jamie Fraser, whose wife Eliza is coproducing a silent film starring the Yankee outfielder. Restraint does not come easily to the reckless Ruth, but the Frasers try to keep him in line while Cook digs around.

As all this plays out, Cook’s son Joshua and Fraser’s daughter Violet are brought together by a shocking tragedy. But an interracial relationship in 1920 feels as dangerous as a public scandal—even more so because Joshua is heavily involved in bootlegging. Trying to protect Ruth and their own children, Fraser and Cook find themselves playing a dangerous game . . . 




I did not read the first two, but this did well as a stand alone. There seems to be some references I didn't get, but other then that this did well. 

The beginning was slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow and it took forever to get into the story, but once I got into it I could not put this down. I wanted to find out what happens next. 

I've always found Babe Ruth to be an interesting person, so I did like his POV the most over everyone. Sure he wasn't the best of men, but he was a man of his time so it's partially forgivable. The other characters were okay. Eliza was my second favorite.

This was really sad in a lot of ways because there was so much racism back in the day. I was really rooting for the love story, but its dang near impossible due to the society and how frowned upon interracial relationships were. 

The author does know his baseball history and really brought the world to life. I enjoyed the mystery and journey. Do I believe that they threw the games? Possibly. Money does speak loudly. 

In the end, the beginning was slow and it took me a long time to enjoy the story. The characters were okay. I really only liked Eliza and Babe. If you like mysteries and some baseball history. Out of five stars, I'll give this a three. 






8 comments:

  1. Glad you liked it but it's probably not a book I'd enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, bummer it took a while and began slow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a huge baseball fan but I imagine reading about the racism of the time would be very eye opening. And I've always kinda wondered if they threw games?

    ReplyDelete
  4. For some reason I've never liked Babe Ruth when he pops up in fiction books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So hard when the beginning is slow like that. I don't know that I would have stuck it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The slow start would be a turn off for me.Glad to know you ended up liking it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It can be hard to get past a slow start. I haven't read anything featuring Babe Ruth so that it interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP