Friday 21 July 2017

Audio Review: Just the thing - Marie Harte

Gavin Donnigan left the Marine Corps a shell of a man, hounded by guilt for deaths he couldn't prevent. But teaching a self-defense class at the local gym brings some stability to his life-along with a gorgeous leggy blonde who won't give him the time of day. Zoe York lost her twin sister to a freak car accident a few months ago. She's been struggling to bury her grief, but it isn't until she signs up for a self-defense class with its distractingly hot instructor that she begins to come out of her shell again. With the memory of her sister telling her to live a little, Zoe decides a fling with buns-of-steel Gavin Donnigan might be just the thing. Soon they're sparring both in and out of the gym. And for the first time in a long time, each is looking forward to tomorrow.

My thoughts:
I have read about heroes with issues but Gavin sure suffered. He had PTSD and he cried. He cried! Those issues guys have a chip on their shoulders but they never cry. This felt real. He felt broken. He had spent 14 years in the marines and now he worked as a trainer. He tried to keep a smile on his face, but the guy was yes, broken.

Zoe is broken too. But not near as much. She is dealing with the loss of her sister. And this thing does bring them together. They both lost loved ones. They both grieve.

And there was a lot of smexy times. Like a lot. Like a bit too many for my taste as you know I skim things. But hey that does not bother me, I just go past it and get to the grieving, issues and romance stuff. But for those of you who like it, well there is plenty to go around.

I liked Gavin because he was so vulnerable. Zoe was the stronger one here and I liked to see them get closer and really have to work for it.

Conclusion:
A good book

Narrator: CJ Bloom
She did a good job, but her men sure sounds macho. But then they are macho so that makes sense.
All in all a good narration.

Audio CD, 10 h
Published July 4th 2017 by Tantor Audio
The Donnigans #2
Contemporary romance
For review



26 comments:

  1. oh this book just sounds simply wonderful, and I do like seeing these tough issues brought about in books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review and I have to admit that returning vets have a special pull for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh I want this!

    I skim a lot of the sexy times too lol

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  4. That really sounds good. I like reading about broken characters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, this sounds like my kind of read, and I'm always on the look out for a good audio book. This is going in the TBR. Wonderful review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I hope you give it a go then one day

      Delete
  6. I'm glad they had to work to be together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd probably want to read print so I could skim but the story sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well buns-of-steel how could she not? :) Broken characters are good tho.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've drawn my interest in this one. I like that the hero had PTSD and was portrayed as somewhat vulnerable as a result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He curls into a ball and cries and I just wanna hug him

      Delete
  10. I like romances with more sensitive heroes, broken but not in a jerk way. Gavin sounds like an interesting character.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've so wanted to try these. Need to get my act together. Had a couple heroes cry lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It felt refreshing to see him that vulnerable

      Delete
  12. This sounds really well done. I may have to check my library for this audio. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know if the book is right for me... but that cover is just the thing I need haha! Nice review!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP