Sunday 23 July 2017

Carole's Sunday Review: Betrayal at Iga - Susan Spann

Author: Susan Spann
Title: Betrayal at Iga (Shinobi Mystery #5) 
Genre: Historical Fiction and Mystery
Pages: 248
Published: July 2017
Where I Got It: My shelf (Given to me by the author/publisher)

Autumn, 1565: After fleeing Kyoto, master ninja Hiro Hattori and Portuguese Jesuit Father Mateo take refuge with Hiro s ninja clan in the mountains of Iga province. But when an ambassador from the rival Koga clan is murdered during peace negotiations, Hiro and Father Mateo must find the killer in time to prevent a war between the ninja clans. 

With every suspect a trained assassin, and the evidence incriminating not only Hiro s commander, the infamous ninja Hattori Hanz, but also Hiro s mother and his former lover, the detectives must struggle to find the truth in a village where deceit is a cultivated art. As tensions rise, the killer strikes again, and Hiro finds himself forced to choose between his family and his honor.



This is the fifth book in the series. I read the 4th one (I still need to back track and read the others) and I think you should at least read that one before this one. 

The mystery duo Hiro and Mateo continue. We get to learn more about Hiro and that made me happy. It was nice to see where he came from and how he became who he is. It was nice to get to know more about one of our heroes. I do admit I have a wee crush on Hiro. ;D

I liked the mystery too. It took a long time for me to guess who the murder is, but I did figure it out. Lots of subtle, under-the-table hints and clues. Looking back I am mad at myself for not figuring it out a few pages sooner. Kuddos for the author. 

I love the writing style of the author. She really knows how to weave characters, mysteries, and the world. Beautiful and I want to read more. 

My only issue with the story was how dragged out it felt. There was a lot of repeating information that we, the readers, already knew. But that is my only complaint. 

I can't wait to read more. I need to back up and read the other ones. I encourage reading book 1. Out of five stars, I'll give this 4 stars. 









4 comments:

  1. it's an interesting setting there, maybe one day

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a nice setting and history behind the stories, but maybe not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello everyone!!!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP